What Are Traditions And Why Are They Important?
“Family traditions counter alienation and confusion. They help us define who we are; they provide something steady, reliable and safe in a confusing world.”
– Susan Lieberman
Our lives in this fast paced, nonstop information age are hectic to say the very least. The conveniences that we depend on easily become distractions. Contemporary living styles result in a disconnect from how the family unit naturally operates. We don’t invest in relationships like we once did and the bonds between family members are eroding.
Loved ones and family members relocate to distant areas and we are separated by the miles. Communication is difficult to squeeze in between work and the daily grind.
While we can’t always change the society and social norms we live in, we can attempt to maintain and create purposeful family traditions that hinders this current trend.
What are traditions?
" Traditions are anything we can do to raise the bar out of the rut of normalcy and incorporate quality, purposeful thought into our time together."
Traditions are anything we can do to raise the bar out of the rut of normalcy and incorporate quality, purposeful thought into our time together. They provide a sense of identity and uniqueness to the family unit. Children who are raised with consistent traditions are found to be more confident and secure, more comfortable in their daily walk.
Traditions allow us to spend quality time together as a family… making memories, having fun, promoting an environment of strong bonds, and strengthening the family unit.
For thousands of years, many cultures have incorporated traditions as a way to pass down important values and truths, and keep their unique lifestyles inherent in their future generations to come. Whether or not we try to, we are constantly creating family traditions. Traditions are part of being routine beings.
" Establishing traditions in your family does not have to be overwhelming! Sometimes we can build on activities that we are already doing and make them more consistent. "
Establishing traditions in your family does not have to be overwhelming! Sometimes we can build on activities that we are already doing and make them more consistent.
Here is a list of great family traditions that are simple and easy to incorporate into our lives:
1. Eat breakfast or dinner together as a family each day.
2. Say ” I love you” each time you say goodbye.
3. Set aside one night a week to play games or watch a movie together.
4. Take a walk together each week on the same day.
5. Reserve one hour each week to read books together.
6. On the first weekend of each month (or any designated weekend) have dinner together with the grandparents, extended family, or close friends.
7. Make a time-capsule each year with a date to open them sometime down the road.
8. Take photos on the first day of school each year. (For home school, pick a day each year to do this!)
9. Camp out one weekend each spring and each fall.
10. Plant a garden each year and teach the children how to tend it.
11. Create traditions for holidays each year, whether it be gift giving traditions or cooking..you can’t go wrong!
12. Focus time together on spiritual and religious traditions.
These are just a few suggestions. For more ideas on starting your own family traditions please check out the link below.
" And don't worry if your tradition is short-lived. Only keeping a tradition for a few years, and moving on to something new is perfectly OK! "
And don’t worry if your tradition is short-lived. Only keeping a tradition for a few years, and moving on to something new is perfectly OK! Changes in life sometimes require changes in traditions. For example, my husband and I used to take annual vacations to the same spots each year before our kids were born. Now we have changed those traditions to something different and still share lasting memories together with our children.
Whether it be daily, weekly, monthly or annual traditions, take the time to make the most of tradition by researching the things that your family will enjoy and benefit from for a lifetime!